Seasick Steve's Stomp Box

General discussion about anything and everything SSS

Seasick Steve's Stomp Box

Postby Morgs » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Hey all, does anyone know anything about seasick steve's stomp box or what its made up of? I purchased one off ebay some time ago but the volume is really low, I have seen some on youtube that use speakers as a microphone, another idea I heard that some guys use is simply a microphone wrapped in a towel and the placed inside the box.

Cheers

Morgs
Morgs

Re: Seasick Steve's Stomp Box

Postby davey » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:35 pm

Morgs wrote:Hey all, does anyone know anything about seasick steve's stomp box or what its made up of? I purchased one off ebay some time ago but the volume is really low, I have seen some on youtube that use speakers as a microphone, another idea I heard that some guys use is simply a microphone wrapped in a towel and the placed inside the box.

Cheers

Morgs

Wotcha! No magic, the MDM its a plywood box with a numberplate on the front, carpet on the top, a drum mic and some foam inside (I believe the mic is an AKG d12).
davey

Postby rik peel » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:10 pm

i always wondered what mike steve used under his box....
i tried it with a cheap mike once and caused massive feedback the audiance looked like this - :o :shock: :x
never used it again... i sometimes use the mike stand as a footstomp! but with a drummer its hardley needed..
i got the hobo low.
rik peel

Postby RidingWestAndFree » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:36 pm

Morgs wrote:Hey all, does anyone know anything about seasick steve's stomp box or what its made up of? I purchased one off ebay some time ago but the volume is really low, I have seen some on youtube that use speakers as a microphone, another idea I heard that some guys use is simply a microphone wrapped in a towel and the placed inside the box.

Cheers

Morgs

Maybe you need to run it through a microphone pre-amp??? Is there a mic in it?
Keeping On
RidingWestAndFree

Postby jumpingjames69 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:06 am

davey you always impress me with your knowledge
jim
jumpingjames69

Postby davey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:47 am

jumpingjames69 wrote:davey you always impress me with your knowledge
jim

old davey tries to remember as much of this stuff as possible - but I'd never remember details like the exact type of mic used in the MDM! That was mentioned in a 'Guitarist' magazine a year or so ago, and then quoted on Hobo-Low - an excellent resource for such details.

Cheers, davey.
davey

Postby Bluesman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:20 pm

davey wrote:
jim

old davey tries to remember as much of this stuff as possible - but I'd never remember details like the exact type of mic used in the MDM! That was mentioned in a 'Guitarist' magazine a year or so ago, and then quoted on Hobo-Low - an excellent resource for such details.

Cheers, davey.

Was that a PLUG? :lol:
I'm actually a THUNDERBIRD 8-) 8-) 8-)
Bluesman

Postby davey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Bluesman wrote:
davey wrote:
jim

Cheers, davey.

Was that a PLUG? :lol:

Oh yess!

Alright, its fair to say that most of us aren't going to want to be posting the same stuff on two forums, and most of the hobo-lowers are now here too. But, there is some great stuff over there!
davey

Postby Bluesman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:24 pm

Oh yess!

Alright, its fair to say that most of us aren't going to want to be posting the same stuff on two forums, and most of the hobo-lowers are now here too. But, there is some great stuff over there![/quote]
I agree totally Davey and would recommend it even just fo the casual reading of topics :)
I'm actually a THUNDERBIRD 8-) 8-) 8-)
Bluesman

Postby rik peel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:46 pm

yeh saw a few of interesting things on hobo-low when the other official forum went down...

not least a cracking photo from the 70's!
i got the hobo low.
rik peel

Postby Morgs » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:04 am

Thanks very much for the replies guys, I dont think my stopm box has a mic preamp think it just has a piezo in there,
this is the oe I have:

http://www.jupitercreekmusic.com/stomper.html

Cheers

Morgs
Morgs

Postby RidingWestAndFree » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:15 am

Hmmm, might be worth sticking a cheap pre-amp on it to see if that helps any. Are you just plugging directly into your guitar amp currently? There might be an issue with impedance if you are, so a line transformer could help out as well maybe. :?
Keeping On
RidingWestAndFree

Postby Sugarhead » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:37 pm

I use a stomp box called a Logarhythm, volume is also low so I use a seperate amp on full bass and cranked right up.

Works alright, but I have just bought a Florida number plate to start building my own. Lounge carpet next...
Sugarhead

Postby Morgs » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:31 pm

RidingWestAndFree wrote:Hmmm, might be worth sticking a cheap pre-amp on it to see if that helps any. Are you just plugging directly into your guitar amp currently? There might be an issue with impedance if you are, so a line transformer could help out as well maybe. :?

Sounds expensive trying all that, I have a Shure SM58 sitting there doing nothing, and since I can't sing I might just hunt down a suitable box and a Mississippi numberplate ;)

Morgs
Morgs

Return to Juke Joint